Identify a government policy decision that has influenced or will influence your field of study. The policy decision can be a federal or state agency rulemaking, legislative action, or court decision that has already been or will be implemented. Discuss one positive and one negative effect that this policy has had or will have on your field.
America is about to make major changes in the country’s health care system. The goal of the Affordable Care Act is reduction of the number of uninsured individuals and health care expenses. Some call the reform unconstitutional, some fear inefficient implementation will lead to the opposite of the anticipated health care cost reduction. According to Kaiser Health Tracking Poll 29% of Americans have very unfavorable opinion of the health reform law compared to only 18% with very favorable attitude (See Health Data, 2010-2011).
The present essay will assess positive and negative effects of the ruling. It will try to answer the question: what impact will the health insurance exchange, a strategic element of our president’s initiative, will have on hospitals and health care administration?
According to Obama health insurance exchange will be "... a market where Americans can one-stop shop for a health care plan, compare benefits and prices, and choose the plan that's best for them, in the same way that Members of Congress and their families can. None of these plans should deny coverage on the basis of a preexisting condition, and all of these plans should include an affordable basic benefit package that includes prevention, and protection against catastrophic costs." (See Organizing for America, 2009). In other words health insurance exchange will be very much like online retailers that offer diverse choices of products from various manufacturers.
The act is projected to bring a number of changes for hospitals. This essay will concentrate on a projected major positive effect – hospital revenue increase with...
References: 1. Agency Group. (2009). Word from the White House: Business roundtable Hewitt report “Health Care Reform: Creating A Sustainable Market.” FDCH Regulatory Intelligence Database.
2. Bergner, A., & Thompson, M. (2013). The New Economics of Health Care Benefits. Financial Executive, 29(2), 29-32.
3. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2009). Estimated Financial Effects of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Retrieved from http://www.cms.gov
5. Fera, B. (2013). How Are Insurance Companies Preparing for Health Insurance Exchanges?. Financial Executive, 29(1), 24-26.
8. Jacobs, M. (2012). health insurance exchanges bring potential opportunities. Hfm (Healthcare Financial Management), 66(11), 44.
10. Mandela, N. (1994). Long Walk to Freedom. Time, 144(22), 52.
11. Organizing for America. (2009). President Obama Reiterates Support for Public Option and Health Insurance Exchange. Retrieved from http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/obamaforamerica/gGGGpK
Please join StudyMode to read the full document